1995 530i V-8 stalls in cold temperature.

raynapa

After driving 100-120 kms/hr for sustained periods of time (45 minutes or so) at below -8C, the check engin light comes on, and the engin stalls - starved for gas. Dealer checked the oxygen sensors, and can find nothing wrong - says I should add gas-line anti-freeze. I do, twice the dosage, and even at -8C, it still stalls. I keep the gas tank mostly full. I let it rest 10- 15 minutes, and then it starts again, and if I drive slowly (40 - 60 kms/hr), it will let me keep on. This is the 2nd winter my 530i does this to me - and unless I can find a solution, it may well be the last... Driving around town, no matter how cold, is no problem. Has anyone come across this problem?? Could it be the gas tank cap that doesn't pressurize well..? The fuel pump that doesn't like cold weather...? A rogue sensor..???? The BMW dealer doesn't seem to know, and until Spring, it seems I'll have to keep off the Autobahn....

Last edited:

raynapa

Some smart mechanic just figured it out: a cracked intake manifold gasket. Leaks air into the manifold and screws up the computer reading. Remedy: replace gaskets.