cost of repairs, reliability

In the past six months I have had several expensive repairs done on my 2002 BMW X5, and this is after an Inspection II. As I was driving on the interstate yesterday, my car turned on the "failsafe transmission program" and I gradually deaccelerated. It turns out that my oil filter probably burst even though I didn't recently have the oil changed and there were no prior warning signals. Everyone tells me that this does not sound/look good, and I assume so, but has anyone heard of this happening? If yes, could someone help me with information on the costs of repairs and possible reasons for such a thing happening? It is at 58,000 miles and had been operating well since the summer.

Why do you think that the oil filter burst? Was there a puddle of oil, or did the engine seize up, or did a mechanic tell you this is what happened? There must be more. The LAST thing I would think of when Failsafe transmission program kicks in is a burst oil filter. I've never heard of a burst oil filter on a screw-on filter, let alone a cannister filter.

More info, please.....

In the past six months I have had several expensive repairs done on my 2002 BMW X5, and this is after an Inspection II. As I was driving on the interstate yesterday, my car turned on the "failsafe transmission program" and I gradually deaccelerated. It turns out that my oil filter probably burst even though I didn't recently have the oil changed and there were no prior warning signals. Everyone tells me that this does not sound/look good, and I assume so, but has anyone heard of this happening? If yes, could someone help me with information on the costs of repairs and possible reasons for such a thing happening? It is at 58,000 miles and had been operating well since the summer.
My 2005 X5 went into failsafe mode, then wouldn’t go past 2nd gear, couldn’t go faster than 40mph. I had a service done on my transmission, even though the dealership said they don’t do them, that they are a lifetime service. We think it’s their way of trying to sell us a new transmission, or a new car. After the service, which was by far cheaper than another car or transmission, I have not had any problems with shifting. Now I’m just dealing with an ongoing draw somewhere that keeps killing my battery, even after installing a brand new one. That issue has been happening since shortly after buying the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk