E34 A/c

apace1008

I posted something about this but in the wrong place. My 95 E34 is putting out cool but not cold air and not much of it. A mechanic said the car just wasnt equipped with a very powerful A/C system. True or should i get a second opinion before replacing the whole damn system?

I posted something about this but in the wrong place. My 95 E34 is putting out cool but not cold air and not much of it. A mechanic said the car just wasnt equipped with a very powerful A/C system. True or should i get a second opinion before replacing the whole damn system?
Hi, i would get the gas checked in the system, if it's low it won't work properly. Mick

Big Daddy

My AC is fine and when properly maintained blows nice cold air. My schrader valve was leaking and I lost some R134 coolant, I agree have the system checked for leakage and coolant.

bmwmedic

There are a million reasons but broadly, cool air instead of cold can be low refrigerent, an old, bad receiver dryer, a clogged expansion valve in dash a dirty condenser in the front (the OTHER radiator up there) or a heater valve which does not close completely,(really your AC is fine but your heater is always on)(feel the heater return hose from the firewall, it should be cold when the engine is hot, and it should get hot when you turn on the heater)

Poor air FLOW is either old tired blower, usually will sound screechee or noisy. Important, poor flow AFTER A WHILE OF RUNNING THE AC, is usaully ice forming on the evaporator in the dash, blocking airflow. If turning compressor off and running heater a while(or waiting a couple hrs) brings airflow back,thats it. Cause is often low refrigerent.
Also low flow WITH NO CHANGE IN FAN SPEED is resistor as described, its essentially a broken fan speed switch, stuck on lower speed or two.

Oh Yes I meant to say FIRST CHECK YOUR CABIN AIR FILTER !! if low flow is problem, simple fix if you have one!
THEN I would try heater check(try with hot car turning ac and heater off but blower on, if air gets hot, then your heater is stuck on), THEN LET PRO CHECK FREON.
GOOD LUCK

Last edited:

apace1008

Ok, so I realized my heater is stuck on because when the A/C button is off and the blower is on it blows hot air. Is there an easy way for me to fix the heater being stuck on by myself? Or do I have to take it to a shop?

bmwmedic

Ok, so I realized my heater is stuck on because when the A/C button is off and the blower is on it blows hot air. Is there an easy way for me to fix the heater being stuck on by myself? Or do I have to take it to a shop?
Well, I can't tell you right off how much stuff is in the way of your heater valve
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=64_0114&hg=64&fg=18

#15 is I believe the culprit.
I hesitate to say this but in texas in july a stuck heater valve is like a blown head gasket!
a bona fide emergency!
Don't repeat this but find the heater hose, preferably the one that goes from radiator to valve (it will get hot first on warm up) and...
cut it in half and stick a four inch piece of somethin g like a wooden dowel in it (each end, ie. plug em) and secure with two hose clamps!!check for leaks when hot. Now you have until december to find and buy and install the valve. I know that is half assd but hey .
It will not harm the car, it will look to the car as if your valve is simply closed. There is no normal circulation thru valve in summer.
just any reliable plug idea will work, just get it together before you cut. You likely need new hoses anyway.
I stole this username you understand lol