E39 Buying Advice......E34 540iT for Sale

CosmosBlack

If your budget allows, I would suggest to get a 2001 as far as facelifts are concerned. Get one with sports package. I think the 2001's come with 290hp as well as Xenon Angel Eyes. The front bumper is slightly improved with a lower bottom, kinda mild spoiler look, earlier models just curve in with a separate piece of wind deflector or whatever it is. 2001's also come with the new clear lights all round.

If that is out of your budget, any 540 will do Mann! [fake]

Check www.540i6.com for a list of common problems associated with the E39 540i. I have a 528i and really like it, but I deeply miss the V8 that I had in my E38 740i. Of course the V8 is more expensive to maintain, but if you can afford it, it is well worth the extra money.

Great site that Abdoman. Thanks for that.

Anyone have any links to where to find out how the E39 has progressed over the years with info on the mods and upgrades etc. like when was the sport introduced and other such things.

Having had the V8 and having the 12 as a banger there is no chance I could possibly go back to 6 or less cylinders. Unfortunately my budget won't run to a 2001 so will be in the market for a 98/99 I think.

[cheers]

also check www.bmwtips.com

there are af few things that do go wrong with the e39 specifically with the M62 motor

1 - the MAF sensors tend to fail
2 - the Radiator (neck) is known to blow
3 - Change the Battery 3-4 years - (they will stop when you least expect iT)

those are the REAL biggies... I have had the MAF go (4-500 - CPO covered these costs)

the M62 (4.4 litre v8) is a real blast to drive... I have the 540iT sport... love every minute of iT

I upgraded to the M5 rear sway bar... really keeps the back end under control during high speed lane changes, turns, etc